Saturday 12 March 2011

Short Story Review: Celebrity Space by Alain Gomez

Celebrity Space by Alain Gomez
3 out of 5 stars
Short story, approx 3000 words

Short stories are always a bit tricky. They need to grab you from the first sentence, because there is no time to connect with the characters throughout the story.

For me, there was not enough time to get to know the main character. We get some background info, a bit like his life in 10 seconds, before we get on with what the story really is about. It made me wish this info wasn't there. If I can't get to know your character in such a short time, then don't give us some random facts that don't add to the story. They only make it confusing.

For a sci-fi story this didn't satisfy my inner science geek. So we can travel with shuttles to space? That's awesome! Yet we don't know what the shuttle looks like at all. Is it big, small, silver or maybe pink? Where is that hotel situated where the shuttle is heading? Well, somewhere in space I guess, but that's a rather wide conception. Here, I would have wanted more details. I want to see the shuttle crossing through space.

That lack of science-talk probably makes this story more accessible for the general public. If it wasn't set in outer space, you wouldn't have known this is science fiction. The plot was good, and the final twist was pretty cool. I didn't see it coming at least. It's a good short story. Maybe not so good a science-fiction short story.

Blurb
Set in the not too distant future, a worker hopes that his new job at the spaceport will allow him to get his life back on track. While taking passengers to the space hotel "Moonwalk", a collision with an unknown object brings his dreams... and possibly his life... to a screeching halt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: