Thursday 12 January 2012

Review: Blood Beast by Darren Shan

Blood Beast by Darren Shan
(The Demonata #5)
3 out of 5 stars

Published by Harper Collins Children's Books
This review may contain spoilers for the previous books in the series

This is the first book in the Demonata series that I didn't particularly like. Darren Shan books are usually characterized by their fast moving plots, their inventive gore and lots of magical fighting.

Blood Beast doesn't have any action until the very end. Most part the story is about Grubbs going through the motions of teenage life, while worrying about not so teenage problems on top of that. He might have the family curse; he might turn into a werewolf.

I didn't like Grubbs's teenage problems. They didn't only seem trivial to me, but quite stupid too. Maybe it's just that I can't identify with them anymore, but I just couldn't stand some thoughts and actions of his. He is in that fase of life where leaving friends behind for other friends is totally acceptable, where you let your so-called "friends" hurt other people without speaking up for the victim. I think that's an ugly time. It might be consistent with how teenagers act like and think like at that age, but somehow I feel uncomfortable for seeing it justified.

Blood Beast felt like an in-between book, not a legit part of the series. There was just a lot of prepping you for the next book, setting up a bunch of plotlines, coming together in a massive cliffhanger. Worst thing was, I saw the massive "surprise" of the book coming from miles away. I know that even though I might expect it, there has to be more explanation for those who don't.

Overall this book felt empty for me. There was no character growth, no major plot points other than one I was already expecting, and no action until the very end of the book. I am hoping the next book will be more like the other books in the series.

Blurb

Grubbs Grady has so far escaped the family curse, but when he begins to experience alarming symptoms at the onset of the full moon, he is scared that the jaws of fate are opening and about to swallow him whole.

He has cheated death, defeated demons, moved on with his life. But Grubbs is torn between the world of magic and his wolfen genes. Can he fight the beast inside or will he fall victim to his tainted blood?

Other reviews you might be interested in
More links

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: