Monday 9 May 2011

Review: Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison

Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison
(Rachel Morgan/The Hollows #3)
4 out of 5 stars

Published by HarperTorch
This review may contain spoilers for the previous books in the series

Rereading these books feels like returning to an old friend. Even though you might not have everything in common any more, you can't help but love them anyway.

Rachel is in big trouble, once again. She made a pact with a demon to put a vampire master in prison, promising to be the demon's familiar, yet keeping her soul. She's living together with a living vamp that still craves her blood, and we haven't started on her complicated relationship with the city's drug baron yet. Prepare for another book of Rachel trying to keep her head above the proverbial (and literal) water.

In this book we see a slight shift from the fast-paced plot-driven books we're used to, to a book more focussed on the complex relationships Rachel tries to balance. Ms. Harrison has created a few of the most layered secondary characters I have ever seen. Which is both a blessing as a curse. A good example of this is Ivy, Rachel's roommate. She has so many issues with her identity that at times, she is really hard to like. She takes unpredictable into the extreme, often making choices I don't agree with at all. Yet she is always Rachel's friend when she needs one, and will protect her with her life. A big part of her private life is still shrouded in mystery, making it even harder to sympathise with.

But to make up for Ivy's sometimes not so sociable skills, this series has the most awesome pixy in the world of books. I don't think there is a person out there that doesn't like Jenks. He is so tiny he can fit on a large earring, but incredibly brave and protective. He isn't afraid to say what's on his mind which only makes him more charming. I want more of him!

As for our narrator, Rachel herself, I feel like she is growing up a bit. She is starting to accept help from her friends without hesitation. She is taking more responsibility, without losing her edge. I'm really glad that Nick is kind of fading out of the picture. I always thought he was one hell of a strange human, muddling with demons and such. I really wonder if there will be a happily ever after for Rachel at the end of the series. And if so, with who?

Another great book in a great series. Maybe not the best one tension-wise but there is enough of character development going on to keep you interested. On to the next one!

Blurb

There's no witch in Cincinnati tougher, sexier, or more screwed up than bounty hunter Rachel Morgan, who's already put her love life and soul in dire jeopardy through her determined efforts to bring criminal night creatures to justice.

Between "runs," she has her hands full fending off the attentions of her blooddrinking partner, keeping a deadly secret from her backup, and resisting a hot new vamp suitor. Rachel must also take a stand in the war that's raging in the city's underworld, since she helped put away its former vampire kingpin - and made a deal with a powerful demon to do so that could cost her an eternity of pain, torment, and degradation. And now her dark "master" is coming to collect his due.

Other reviews you might be interested in

    5 comments:

    Jules said...

    I really need to start this series!!!

    Jen at Red Hot Books said...

    You should, Jules... it's really good. Though on my first read, it didn't really hit its stride until A Fistful of Charms... then it blew me away with For A Few Demons More.

    I reread this a couple of months ago, leading up to Pale Demon's release --and I think I enjoyed them even more the second time!

    Jen at Red Hot Books

    BookMarc Blogpants said...

    I read 'Dead Witch Walking' but didn't really enjoy it that much. What I did like was Ivy and would have preferred to read a novel about her. Like you mentioned in this review she's very layered and I think would be better suited to a lead character.
    Good review.

    Must Love Books said...

    This is one of my all time favorite series! I love all the characters in it so much. Great review!

    Celine said...

    @ Jules; Yeah you definitely should! It's a great series (:

    @ Jen; This is one of those series that gets better and better when you reread them. Second time round you know the characters a lot better, yet they can still surprise you at times. I still have to read Pale Demon, so I'm looking forward to that!

    @ Marc; I can understand Dead Witch Walking can be a bit hard to get into. Ivy definitely would make a good lead character, but I can see why the author would stick with Rachel. She might be a bit easier to relate to for the general masses.

    @ Must Love Books; Thanks! It's one of my all time favourites too (:

    Post a Comment

    I love to hear from you!
    Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: