Thursday 22 March 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games

Guess what I did last night.

That's right, I saw The Hunger Games in the cinema!

For some reason it is already in premiere here in the Netherlands, while you US people have to wait until tomorrow. For once, living here makes me get to things earlier rather than later!

Now on for the review. Seriously guys. You all must see this movie. It is way better than I was expecting. I absolutely loved the book (read my review) and I was afraid the movie would be like Eragon's movie adaptation. Which was bad. Very bad.

So when the movie started I was a bit sceptical. The camera was a bit shaky during the opening scenes, and it took a while to get used to it. Both Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Gale (Liam Hemsworth) were very different from how I pictured them in the books.

I shouldn't have been worried because Jennifer Lawrence's performance blew me away. This is the first time I've seen her act, and I'm a complete fan. She is an amazing Katniss. Katniss is a complex character; she doesn't always show her true emotions and can change moods in a second. Jennifer did a wonderful job, and I believed every second of it.

Even though the Games are pretty gruesome, the producers decided to keep the gore to a minimum. There is blood, and you know what's happening, but the camera shakes so much that you don't get to see any details. I'm very glad they chose to film it this way, otherwise the movie would be reduced to a science-fiction gore-fest.

There are some amazingly strong scenes in the film, just like in the book. The Hunger Games stays very close to the book, with just some minor adjustments to increase the watch-ability. All of the great moments in the book are in there, and they do not disappoint.

For those of you that have not read the book: this movie is perfectly enjoyable for the Hunger Games newbies. I took a test-subject (my boyfriend) with me, and he loved it too. I elaborated for a few little things that felt like plot-holes to him, but overall there was nothing that threw him off.

I recommend this movie for everyone that loves dystopians and movies that keep you on the edge of your chair.

6 comments:

Mirjam said...

I'm planning to go on the 30th, so it's a relief to hear that I will probably not be disappointed! Glad you had a good time!

Kat B said...

Hurrah for the Netherlands!  And double hurrah for Liam Hemsworth - great to see an Aussie boy :-D

Jennifer | Book Den said...

Awesome!! I can't wait. :D

rogier said...

whoo hoo /glad u had a gr8 time

jessasank said...

I'm hoping to be able to convince my family to watch it with me when it comes out on DVD. They're not interested now, but I know from all these great reviews that it will be almost as great as the book. :)

Kathy Coleman said...

Thanks for the awesome review! I'm going on Sunday with my brother and his girlfriend and we are all really excited to check it out. :D I can't believe the time is almost here. I've been waiting for months to see this. 

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: