Friday 23 March 2012

Movie Trailer: The Host (Stephenie Meyer)

It seems like today is a good day for movie things on my blog. Another book of Stephenie Meyer is getting a movie adaptation, and this time it's of her lesser known (as of yet) standalone The Host. Here is the official teaser thing (it doesn't contain any actual footage of the movie).





My thoughts so far:
  • Is it me, or does this trailer look pretty cheap? Especially with the first people with alien eyes, it reminded me more of a fan-made video
  • The face we see of lead character Melanie looks a bit strange, and nothing like Saoirse Ronan, who plays her. Is it her, or someone else? I'm a bit confused
  • I'm a bit afraid that the movie is going to be too gooey and fluffy. I liked the book of The Host because it contained a tiny bit of social commentary, in a dark way. The voice at the start of the trailer is so sweet it makes my teeth ache
  • Overall I'm not very convinced yet that this movie is going to be awesome, so I'm looking forward to see the real trailer closer to the release date
  • I also found the poster movie thing, but I had to three-double take to make sure I had the right one. They look more like people dressed up in squeaky leather, not remaining humans trying to survive in the desert (update: it's most certainly fan-made)
  • It just struck me that Stephenie does love shiny things; these aliens don't sparkle in the sun, but their eyes do
What do you guys think? Are you excited about this movie?

    11 comments:

    Vicky @ Books, Biscuits & Tea said...

    Wow. The posted does look weird. It's like... one of those over-edited photos you make in Photoshop or something. The trailer doesn't look too bad - I really like the music towards the end, it's quite creepy! And what's up with those eyes? 0_____________0

    Celine said...

    Haha, I like the foreboding music at the end too. I don't know if you know the book, but if people have those eyes it means they're possessed by aliens :D

    Vicky @ Books, Biscuits & Tea said...

    Feck, they look scary! :D  I'm not familiar with this book but I have a feeling I might not be able to sleep after reading it so... I'm not sure it's the right kinda book for me :D

    Small Review said...

    Hm, interesting. I think Saoirse Ronan looks like herself, but I don't like that because I don't like her. I don't think I could sit through a whole movie with her playing the lead. :(

    I agree with you about the cheapness of the trailer. It does seem fan made. It's not so bad in the beginning, but when those people show up it looks really photochoppy. Their eyes make me think of the SyFy channel's Dune movie.

    I don't think that's the right movie poster. I'm pretty sure that's Dean from Supernatural, Damon from TVD, and um....Sophia Bush? I WISH that were the cast! I'd be all over this movie if Dean and Damon were in it! :D

    Rebecca (Kindle Fever) said...

    It's actually nice aliens! They just don't like what we've done to the world and makes it better. By taking our bodies. ;)

    Rebecca (Kindle Fever) said...

    I actually like it! And think it sets an awesome feel for it. Like it says though, it is a teaser trailer. I guess I didn't expect it to have a lot from the actual movie, especially since it's a year away. It basically shows a summary, imo! Lol. But I like it. I'm super curious of how the actual movie will turn out and can't wait until we get to see a real trailer!

    Rainy Kaye said...

    That's an official trailer? Really? Ugh.

    Celine said...

    Yup. There will be another one in a few months, I hope that one will be better.

    Celine said...

    I agree with Bex, they're not that scary! They don't creep or slither around or anything (: And some of them are actually not that bad (*trying hard not to spoil anything*)

    Celine said...

    I haven't seen Ronan in anything yet, so I'm not that familiar with her face or her acting.

    It looks like you're right! I wasn't paying that much attention to who was behind her, but that sure looks like Dean xD Man, I wish Dean was in there, I love him. Looks like a lot of sites have been promoting the wrong poster then, hmmm.

    Thanks for leaving a comment (:

    Celine said...

    Maybe it's because I was expecting a full trailer like all the Twilight movies had (they might not be all that great but they did have massive budgets). Or maybe it's just because I've just seen The Hunger Games which is an amazing sci-fi, and this looks very amateurish in comparison.

    At least this one has a different director than the Twilight movies, so we'll see what happens ^^ I hope it's good, because the story has great movie potential.

    Post a Comment

    I love to hear from you!
    Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: