Monday 5 March 2012

Review: Deadline by Mira Grant

Deadline by Mira Grant
(Newsflesh Trilogy #2)
5 out of 5 stars

Published by Orbit
This review contains spoilers for the previous book in the series

Whoa.

After reading Feed I had pretty high expectations for Deadline. I was pretty sceptical to how I would like the book without leading lady George. I shouldn't have been worried, Deadline blew me away with the power of a tornado.

After George's amplification Shaun is a wreck. He has turned away from his Irwin nature and is a shell of his former self. And oh yeah, he is going crazy. He talks to his dead sister in his head. The only thing driving him is uncovering the people responsible of her death. With his new crew he follows dubious leads and gets caught up in a conspiracy of a size they had no way of expecting.

I would like to compare Deadline to Feed for a bit, so you can get an idea of how this story is like. Where Feed was very heavy on the blogging mechanics, in Deadline ratings aren't important any more. As the story is told from Shaun's point of view, and he really doesn't care about the ratings, they take a background. He's still writing posts, and After The End Times still exists, but there are less massive descriptions of them maintaining their blog. It was a change for the better in my opinion.

I was naive to think Feed had a nice deep story. So, so naive. In Deadline the true digging starts. The conspiracy goes way, way farther than you will ever be expecting. By the end of the book the you-know-what is hitting the fan. I'm getting goosebumps right now by just thinking of it. There is something seriously wrong in the world after the Rising.

Deadline is a very emotional story. Shaun tries to deal with his sisters death, failing miserably. There is actually a little bit of romance, which surprised me. The After The End Times crew is in real danger now. Not just from zombies, but from something way bigger. And these people aren't even afraid any more to sacrifice some innocent bystanders. You just don't know when something bad is going to happen, and how bad it will be. I read the last two-hundred pages in one sitting because I just didn't want to put it down.

I'm thinking about pushing my boyfriend into reading Feed just so I can let him read Deadline, I loved this book so much.

I cannot wait until Blackout is released. That book is going to be so epic.

Blurb

Shaun Mason is a man without a mission. Not even running the news organization he built with his sister has the same urgency as it used to. Playing with dead things just doesn't seem as fun when you've lost as much as he has.

But when a CDC researcher fakes her own death and appears on his doorstep with a ravenous pack of zombies in tow, Shaun has a newfound interest in life. Because she brings news-he may have put down the monster who attacked them, but the conspiracy is far from dead.

Now, Shaun hits the road to find what truth can be found at the end of a shotgun.

Other reviews you might be interested in
More links

7 comments:

Annette said...

Excellent! I've been considering reading these, but you have firmed up their place on the list. Sounds like a story you can sink your teeth into.

Celine said...

It totally is! I hope you enjoy them too, I'm looking forward to see what you think (:

Ellie said...

I loved Feed and was a little disappointed in Deadline. I got annoyed with Shaun constantly trying to justify the presence of George in his head. It got a little repetitive. I liked the continuation of the story behind the outbreak though and I will definitely be reading Black Out after that ending.

Book Sake said...

I hadn't heard of this series previously.  It sounds like something I could dive into and then would be pushing on my boyfriend too!
- Jessica @ Book Sake

Celine said...

This is definitely one of those series that appeals to both guys and girls (: I strongly recommend it!

Rabid Fox said...

I've got Feed on my wish list. I keep hearing good things about it. Good to know the series holds up.

Renae @ Respiring Thoughts said...

I definitely think that Deadline is perhaps stronger than Feed, especially what with the whole "my sister's ghost is haunting me" aspect.  

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: