Thursday 26 April 2012

Book Favourites: Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris


In a perfect world, reviewers would be able to review every single book they read. But as most of you know, you can't. Sometimes it's because you simply don't have the time. Sometimes it's because you just can't find the inspiration. And sometimes the book you're reading is so awesome that you can't describe it without turning into a blubbering fangirl. Every week I will be highlighting one of such books in Book Favourites.

After featuring The Fever series, I thought I'd share another of my urban-fantasy favourites. My reviews seem to be dominated by YA books lately, even though I'm not a purely YA reader. So this is what I read when I'm sick of angsty teenagers: the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series by Charlaine Harris! It's one of my guilty pleasures that I love to indulge in when I'm in the mood for something fast and fun. I've stopped at book four a few years ago, and am rereading them all now. So no spoilers for later books! *frowns*


Why this series is awesome:
  • The heroine, Sookie. She can read people's minds, which is an awesome power, but she's a very realistic person too. I love how she struggles with accepting there are paranormal creatures in a much more believable way than almost any other main character
  • The books are incredibly quick reads - perfect to read in between review books
  • They have all kinds of paranormal creatures, without it making too confusing
  • Viking vampire Eric. He's hot
  • The fact that she doesn't sleep around while she's single. Seems like a strange thing to say, but I'm quite happy when paranormal romance doesn't have that much sex in it
  • The mystery isn't predictable
  • I want to know who Sookie ends up with!
  • If you're not in the mood to read you can also watch the True Blood TV series. It's not the same, but it's fun

I recommend this series if you like:
  • Urban fantasy
  • Paranormal romance
  • Realistic heroines
  • Vampires
  • Shifters
  • Family drama
  • Long ongoing series

5 comments:

Ashelynn Hetland said...

I don't watch True Blood, or have even though about reading this series, but your post may have swayed me. :D definitely am going to see if my library has them!

Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book
Reviews.

Celine said...

That's awesome! o: I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do! Let me know if you picked one up (:

Shannon said...

This used to be one of my favorite series of books! I am not sure why I have not read the last few. I need to reread them and then get caught up! 

Silvia said...

This email is just the beginning. The beginning of a brand new series. "The Journeys of John and Julia."
Who are John and Julia?
Julia: Though she tries to put on an above-it-all face for the world, she’s been suffering over her parents’ divorce, which she blames on her workaholic mom. And now her mom’s forcing Julia to spend the summer on her grandmotherʼs country estate in Cedarwood Ridge, 30 miles away from anything, and way too much in the middle of some serious otherworldly stuff.

“I think life is supposed to be great but most times it sucks and then we die and that’s the end of it. That’s all I know and if there’s more I sure as day don’t want to waste my precious time figuring it out. At least not as long as I am busy with figuring out the things I can see,” she added defiantly, “like how to get my parents back together? Now that’s something I would like to know.”
John: Juliaʼs childhood friend and alter ego, John is pretty much the opposite of everything Julia stands for. He has lived his whole life in Cedarwood Ridge and couldn’t agree more.

This is a nightmare, he thought. Evidently Julia had indeed transformed into a girl since their last encounter, plus, to make a headache a migraine, she seemed to have shape-shifted into one of those frightening creatures Andy & Co. were so eager to get their hands on. And just how could she have grown so tall?
Next week, a small group of bloggers will be invited to read “The Journeys of John and Julia." We’d like to ask you to join us.

This is just the beginning.
- The John and Julia Team

silvia@gerberrigler.com

Celine said...

I've kind of lost track of this series too, just like the Kim Harrison books. I blame all the books I read for review (:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: