Friday 13 April 2012

Review: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
(The Wolves of Mercy Falls #2)
5 out of 5 stars

Published by Scholastic
This review may contain spoilers for the previous books in the series

Ms Stiefvater is steadily becoming one of my favourite authors. As I said in my review of the first book of the Wolves of Mercy Falls series, Shiver, I liked it. This liking is slowly turning into something more, something that is reserved only for my all-time favourites.

Now Beck is gone, Sam has to take his place. With the three new wolves he is feeling the burden of responsibility. With every single day Grace becomes sicker, and he doesn't know how to help her. Isabelle is falling for Cole, one of the new wolves, but he is even more broken than she is. There is a lot going on in Mercy Falls, and not all of it is good...

Reading Linger felt like returning to old friends. I read it during the hectic mess that are my review books. I read it when I went to sleep and wanted something comforting. The dreaminess of Ms Stiefvater's writing draws me in so effortless. I can pick up her book after a long stressful day and within a few words get transported to her world.

Another thing I love is how realistic her relationships are. Sam and Grace are still an amazing couple and I was very glad that she didn't insert petty fights to make it more exciting. The only issues they had were things outside of their doing. A big issue in Linger are Grace's parents. Now Grace and Sam have been together for so long, eliminating their oh-it's-just-a-fling attitude, they are getting in the way of their relationship. The whole situation is so life-like. I can imagine parents all over the world reacting the same way.

The budding romance between Isabelle and Cole is awkward and adorable. I think one day they will make a great couple. They are absolute opposites to Grace and Sam, yet awesome all the same. I'm looking forward to see what happens to them in the next book.

One thing I didn't like - the cliffhanger! Argh, now I have to read the last book in the trilogy, Forever. I heard a lot of people are disappointed with the conclusion. I just hope reading Forever is just as enjoyable as reading Linger.

Blurb

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

Other reviews you might be interested in
More links

10 comments:

rogier said...

Reading Linger felt like returning to old friends// i agree 100%i still need 2 read forever

gr8 review

Donna @ Book Passion for Life said...

I adore Sam and Grace and I'm glad to see you do too! Shiver was my favourite book out of the series but Linger is a close second because of Isabelle and Cole. I loved them! Great review. Donna xoxo

Pepca said...

I absolutely agree! I can't wait to read Forever to see what happens after that cliffhanger. Grace's parents annoyed me - their reactions are very life-like, but that doesn't make them any less obnoxious. Loved Cole and Isabel, I'm really looking forward to read more about them. Maggie Stiefvater is one of my favorite authors I've discovered lately. I like her Books of Faerie series even more than The Wolves of Mercy Falls. 

Linny @ Linnys Literature said...

I agree with everything you said. Loved these characters, especially Sam and Grace. Maybe it was just me, but I felt like this book was pretty slow though. Thanks for the review! Interested to see what you think of Forever. :)

Celine said...

Thanks! I'm looking forward to read Forever (:

Celine said...

Isabelle and Cole are so good together! They're both so damaged and for some reason it works for them. Thanks for stopping by (:

Celine said...

Eek, me too! I hate cliffhangers, now I know I'll have to pick up Forever soon ):  I got annoyed by the parents too.. At multiple occasions I just wanted to reach out into the book and slap them very, very hard.

I'll have to try Stiefvater's faerie books, I like the fae and her writing is awesome. They sound very good (:

Celine said...

It was pretty slow indeed, although that was a good thing for me in this case. I could just read every night a few pages, and not get confused by the storyline because it didn't move that fast at all. I'm very much looking forward to read Forever ^^ I heard that a lot of people were kind of disappointed by it though

Linny @ Linnys Literature said...

Hmm. Well I personally liked Shiver most, then Forever, and then Linger. So I enjoyed Forever, though I guess I could see some people being disappointed with some things about it. It had a happy ending though, so that's good enough for me! ;)

Celine said...

I'm glad to hear it has a happy ending! If it didn't I'd probably be devastated. Grace and Sam belong together (:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: