Tuesday 24 April 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
(The Lunar Chronicles #1)
5 out of 5 stars

Published January 3rd 2012 by Puffin

I loved it! When I hear "fairy-tale retelling" I'm not on my chair jumping up and down of joy, but Cinder surprised me in its ingenuity.

Cinder is a cyborg mechanic, living with her stepmother and two stepsisters in New Beijing. A mysterious plague claims thousands of victims, and there are people living on the moon. One day the Prince stops by Cinder's shop to repair an android. This android contains crucial information for the well-being of the whole Empire.

Like every child from the Disney generation I grew up with the story of Cinderella, but I never liked the movie. I was always appalled by how unfair she was treated, and that she didn't fight back. Enter Cinder. I loved how Ms Meyer took the story of Cinderella and made it her own, though keeping the essence of it, and keeping the suspense of the ending. She has changed some things - for the better in my opinion. One thing I loved was that one of the stepsisters was actually Cinder's friend. It was good to see that she had a person to confide in.

In the beginning Cinder doesn't fight her abusing stepmother, but she grows throughout the story into a stronger person. I loved following her growth, anticipating with joy the moment she breaks free. It does happen, but not in the way I was expecting.

There is so much going on this book that I have a hard time describing it. I've read a lot of rave reviews of Cinder, but I never understood what it all was about. Let me summarize it for you: there is political intrigue, threats of war between earth people and lunar people, Lunars can mind-control, Prince Kai is awesome and swoon-worthy, it's all set in a futuristic world, some science talk now and then, mysterious plague, Cinder's secret heritage.

I absolutely love the cacophony of Cinder's world. For once, the Prince is a good guy that would do anything for the well-being of his people. After reading so many dystopians this was a breeze of fresh air. Yes, there is a plague that's killing people. But it's not so bleak and hopeless as many other YA books seem to be lately.

The only problem I had was with the ending. Argh, cliffhanger alert! I know this is going to be a series, but I wanted it to end like the real Cinderella story, with a perfect happy ending. Sadly, this wasn't the case. I want the next book in the series now! I need to know how the story of Cinder continues!

Blurb

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Other reviews you might be interested in
More links

16 comments:

sandra said...

Yaaay, I just knew you're going to like it. ^^ Can't wait for Scarlet! (:




Aleksandra @ Divine
Secrets of a Little Bookworm

Donna's Reviews said...

Awesome review Celine. So glad you liked it, I haven't started it yet but I hope to soon. Donna xoxo

Celine said...

Thanks Donna! I hope you'll like it as much as I did (:

Celine said...

Hehe, you were completely right! You got any more recommendations for me? o:

Aimee Brown said...

I really enjoyed this book too.  It was good.  I just wanted more insight, better explanations...  I'm hoping that is coming in the next book.  Oh, the wait!  Great review!

sandra said...

I think I should be the one to ask your for the recs! I'm so behind on all of my reading it's giving me a headache. Thankfully I have a short school break coming up in a few days... = I'll be reading for 6 days straight and occasionally eat and sleep. :D

Celine said...

Well, that sounds like a lot of fun! I hope you'll get a big bunch of reading done then :D

Celine said...

I would like to get a bit more too, but I was glad it wasn't bogged down by descriptions (: Thanks Aimee!

Ashelynn Hetland said...

oh, wow, awesome review! I have this book, just haven't read it yet. then again, I'm weary of reading books with major cliffhangers and then isn't the sequel told from another character's POV? it seems odd...

Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book
Reviews.

Nicole @ Teenage Fiction said...

Awesome review! While I did find many faults with this book I have to agree that it was a rather fresh retelling of Cinderella, but I was slightly disappointed that it didn't really comment on China's political/economical future.

Celine said...

Hm, it looks like the second book Scarlet will feature Cinder but this time combines it with Red Riding Hood. I have no idea how that's going to work, but I guess I'll trust Ms Meyer on this one :D Thanks for stopping by Ashelynn!

Celine said...

I guess it depends on what you want from a book, I for example am a bit wary of all the China-focus going on lately. I think she'll add some more world-building in the next couple of books, so maybe you'll like those better (:

Nick said...

Great review, Celine :)
I loved Cinder too although I was so wary to start reading it !
I agree with you on the cliffhanger. It was annoying, but hey, all cliffhangers are. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Celine said...

Thanks Nick! ^^ I agree, all cliffhangers are annoying. I personally hate cliffhangers, but I know some people who like them. Thanks for leaving a comment (:

Alessandra@Out of the Blue said...

I loved this book, too. But don't you think that the big revelation that comes at the end was kind of highly predictable? Or at least, I started to think it would turn out that way ever since it was revealed that there was another heir to the Lunar throne.

Celine said...

Oh me too, I saw it coming from that moment too. The ending was the part I was slightly disappointed with, it didn't give any closure at all. But since I loved the rest of the story, I decided to give it 5 stars (:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: