Tuesday 12 June 2012

Review: Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: Forever
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3
Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars

390 pages
Published 2011 by Scholastic
This review may contain spoilers for the previous books in the series

Goodreads | Author | Publisher | Amazon | Book Depository

This makes me very sad. I was so invested in this series. I liked Shiver, loved Linger. And absolutely hated the ending of Forever.

Grace has started shifting. In the months without her Sam barely lives. They have to find out a cure that makes sure they will be able to be together, forever.

Starting these novels, you know they aren't going to be action-packed. They're romance books of the dreamy kind. You float through them on a happy cloud of beautiful descriptions. Ms Stiefvater is a very talented writer, and her language is amazing.

Sadly, Forever fell flat for me. It was as if every bit of spirit was sucked out of the main characters. Dreamy Sam turns into whiny Sam. Independant Grace turns into numb Grace. They just mope around, feel bad for themselves and do absolutely nothing about it. Not even Grace who is such a do-person instead of a thinker. Cole and Isabel are a great couple, but there was way too little of them in the book. I wanted more chemistry, but instead there were more fights.

I'm one of those people that can't just abandon a series mid-way. I stick with the characters to the end. I want to know where they end up, and with who. I want to know who lives and who dies. Doesn't matter how long it takes, I like to have the closure of a series ending. I will not spoil it for you, but Forever ends on a big droopy cliffhanger. It ends with someone maybe or maybe not dying. That my friends, is not what I call closure. That isn't even what I call an ending for "open interpretation". That just damn sucky.

I wish I liked Forever better, I really do. It ruins the series for me now. Not feeling like rereading Shiver any time soon, to be disappointed by this book all over again.

Blurb

The thrilling conclusion to #1 bestselling Shiver trilogy from Maggie Stievater

In Maggie Stiefvater's SHIVER, Grace and Sam found each other. In LINGER, they fought to be together. Now, in FOREVER, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.

Other reviews you might be interested in

4 comments:

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Hi Celine! So nice to meet you. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I love meeting new bloggers and I am happy to return comments.
I am so disappointed that this is not a good read and even more bummed that it is a crappy ending to a great series. I have been listening to The Linger audiobook and now
I am not looking forward to Forever. I know many fans are disappointed and I know I will be too in an open ending..that is worse than a cliffhanger. Thanks for the honest review.

kimbacaffeinate said...

Eep, I skipped this series, when those who loved the series..expressed disappointment in the ending . My daughter loved this series, but wasn't thrilled with this book either. Great review, I become invested in my characters too! 

Celine said...

Yeah, I probably should have taken more notice of the negative reviews about the last book. I just kind of thought that it would be different for me - usually I don't mind sad endings, and I thought no one liked the ending because it was sad. Anyways, thanks for leaving a comment (:

Celine said...

Nice to meet you too Heidi! I love meeting new bloggers too, and try to answer all comments and visit back.

Enjoy Linger! I absolutely loved that one, mainly because of Cole and Isabel, they are such a great couple. I wish I had something better to say about Forever, but I'm afraid you might get disappointed, just like the rest of us ):

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: